Friday, October 19, 2012

Breakfast in a Jar



Just in time for cool fall mornings I've started making oatmeal in a jar for the children's breakfast.  I've found that these little jars are all kinds of wonderful because they are a quick, warm breakfast, they are perfect for wrapping little hands around to get warm and, in a pinch, they are portable!  


I saw the original idea and "recipe" at The Blueberry Moon.  I started out with her suggestions for amounts and then started altering things at the children's suggestions (a little more sugar, a little less cinnamon  etc.).  Also, we've made our own combinations up with different spices and add ins!  The dry ingredients are simply layered together in the jar.  I use 1/2 cup quick cook oats,  2 teaspoons of brown sugar and some sea salt.  I also use some sort of spice (cinnamon, pumpkin pie mixture, etc.) and raisins or dried blueberries.  When you are ready for breakfast,  add 1/2 cup hot water, screw the lid back on for five minutes and then breakfast is served!


originally was going to use a chalkboard label to label each jar for the children but then I realized that I wouldn't be able to throw the jars in the dishwasher.  These labels work perfectly because they pop off easily and can be used over and over.




1 comment:

 
Blogging tips