Monday, September 17, 2012

Canning

I have a new love and it (of course) involves food.  A week ago, Gretchen and I took a canning class from Marisa McClellan, the author of the lovely book and blog, Food in Jars.  During the class Marisa gave basic instruction for canning whole tomatoes, but more importantly for me was her ability to make canning not so intimidating.  I've wanted to try my hand at canning for some time but there is this little fear of mine called killing someone with botulism that has been a deterrent to trying it.  

This past week Gretchen and I set aside an entire day to can diced tomatoes.  We started off with an amazingly large amount of tomatoes but between the two of us we were able to get a fairly streamlined system for coring, blanching and chopping.




Our canning of the tomatoes went so well that we decided to go ahead and can peaches.  We used Marisa's recipe from the book for boozy peaches .  Our only setback here was that the peaches would not peel!  That was a bit frustrating but we persevered and the result was definitely worth it!


I've found that canning is immensely satisfying and I really can't stop myself from gazing at the beautiful jars on the shelf!  In fact, I've already canned marinara sauce and am plotting on trying a jam next!


2 comments:

  1. The jars look lovely. A pleasant result of a large effort. Think you'll enjoy jams. Try paraffin seal. One rationed jar of grape jam made from Iowa home grown grapes remains in our pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!
    I believe in storing food for emergencies..and freshly canned food is the BEST way! I need to get back on it this year!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips