Thursday, September 6, 2012

Back to School Celebration

Last night we celebrated the start of school with our traditional meal of alphabet soup, letter breadsticks and a fun dessert.  Obviously I don't need to tell you that I can hardly believe that I have a 2nd grader and a 5th grader.  Those words, "I can't believe they have gotten so big" seem to be the mantra of every parent I know.  And it's because it's true, I really can't believe how big they have gotten.  And awesome, they are totally awesome.



How adorable are these pencil push pops?  I got the instructions from Bakerella and while mine might not be quite as perfect as hers are, I think they are pretty darn cute.


Our theme for this school year is, "Be Courageous." We talked about what this means and how it applies to our family.  Starting a new school, meeting new people, learning new things, going to school without your sister along side of you, admitting when you've done something wrong, standing up for what is right even when it's hard to do, starting a new job/business are all things that we will be experiencing as a family this year and I want to encourage the children to bravely face new things.


Grace had an amazing first day at her new school.  She was so excited when she got home and I hope that we can keep even a fraction of that excitement and joy.  She said, "I think that this school is going to change my life."  I think she might have found her place.

Harris trotted of to school this morning with a smile on his face.  He did admit to having butterflies, but I have a feeling that he is going to have a good year.  His teacher seems to be very kind and just what he needs.


5 comments:

  1. Love. I copied your whole menu for our back to school dinner except for the dessert! I may have to make push up pop pencils next year! Can you tell me where you got the pops and acrylic holder? SO glad both kids had a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nini! I got the push pop containers from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GWN1VC/ref=wms_ohs_product) and the acrylic holder from Amazon as well (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LH3UQS/ref=wms_ohs_product).

    Hope this helps and I'm so glad we shared the same menu this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an extra fine first day of school. You certainly did the best of everything to get the year started off right for Grace and Harris. May you all have an extra fine school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the entire meal...it's perfect...as usual!!! :)
    I am sure they are having a great school start! I'm glad Grace has found her special place...what kind of school is she attending?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips