Friday, September 9, 2011

School goals- for me


With the start of school I find myself, for the first time in 9 years, with 7 hours a day without children!  To be perfectly honest, I'm incredibly sad and overwhelmed about it.  Of course, it will be lovely to have time to wander the aisles of Target, grocery shop and have the occasional lunch with friends without my trusty sidekicks.  But as the children have gotten older I find that I crave time to myself less and less often. The children are no longer so very dependent on me- they go off and play for huge chunks of time, so I have time to myself even if they are home with me.  I can start a project and finish it.  I can cook dinner without a million interruptions.  I can have and finish a phone conversation.  I can run errands with the children and it's actually helpful.  And all of these things have evolved so slowly that I didn't even realize it was happening!

I've struggled with the children getting older.  I've loved every new stage and they are at an exciting and interesting age right now, but I see their childhood slipping by a little too fast for my taste.  I feel so very blessed and fortunate that I have been able to experience every moment with the children and I don't want that to end, not just for me but for the children as well.  Just because they are older doesn't mean they need me any less (I hope!).

However, I feel that now that they are both in school full time I need to redefine my "job."  Does that mean I need to think about going back to work outside of the home?  I'm not ready, nor do I think my family is ready, for that.  But I want to do something... I just haven't figured out what that something is.  Hopefully, this year it will become clear to me.  In the meantime, I have made some goals for myself in the hopes that I can find a new rhythm to my day.


Less time on the computer- no computer before the children go to school or after they get home
More creating
 Plan more activities with the children, Bryce and as a family
Be more intentional in my days- have a plan
Make exercise a part of my lifestyle (walking, biking, gardening, etc.)
Find a volunteer position that I'm passionate about 
Attend all PTO meetings
Learn to sew

What about you?  Have you had a transition to make?  What made it easier?




6 comments:

  1. I get excited everytime you post... I always love your thoughts. I have a great idea that would take up a TON of your time and help you with your kids growing older- you should have another baby :) haha, easy a girl with no kids to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bittersweet time!!! I struggle too with the how fast they grow into independent kids. I pray your transition is smooth and that find a volunteer project that you are passionate about. And the rest of your list sounds lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the splash of water to clear my view...I'm in the thick of it now with a newborn & homeschooling a 4 y/o. Obvi that equals zero time for myself. I love what I'm doing and wakeup excited each day, but a pedicure once every hundred years wouldn't be bad! Sometimes it's hard to remember the days are long but the years are short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. It gives me a great glimpse into what it will be like in just a few short years. My littlest is so dependent on me still. I love the idea of having a purpose driven day. Lately I have just been letting the day take me, instead of the other way around! I need to blog more too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your such a great mom...don't worry there is so much fun ahead! Brooke is constantly reminding me, that I may have loved all the younger stages, but I am going to love all of her preteen, and teen stages too!
    Your post was beautiful and I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips