Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beer Bread

As the weather has cooled down around here, I have found myself having the urge to cook soup once again.  Oh, how I love soup!  And the only thing that makes soup even better is warm from the oven bread!  I have a favorite go-to bread that gives all of the pleasure of serving my family fresh, homemade bread without the hassle of waiting hours for the bread to rise.  It's Beer Bread*!  Our whole family loves it, it's healthy and it couldn't be easier.  Seriously, it takes 5 minutes to throw together and is ready to eat thirty minutes later!

Beer Bread

1 12oz bottle of beer (use a beer without preservatives)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
4 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  In a small saucepan warm up the beer and maple syrup (I've also done this in a measuring cup in the microwave).  Mix together remaining ingredients, pour warm liquid into the flour mixture and mix it up.  Pour batter into well-buttered loaf pan.  Bake for 30 minutes.  


*This recipe is adapted from a Susan Branch recipe.  And when I say adapted I really mean that I just leave out the Caraway Seeds that she includes in hers!  Susan Branch now has a blog!  I just love her.

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember seeing this recipe, but I love how easy it is. I am going to try it soon. I have been making soup at least once a week too AND I am loving Susan Branch's blog as well. Happy fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog contains informational and educational material. The post enhance my thoughts and experience. So nice!
    I've got to scramble to keep up with your prodigious output!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think that bread will be yummmmy when fall returns.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips