Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Trials, Tribulations and Triumphs (of construction)

Trial:  I panic because the screen porch looks a little smaller than imagined.

Triumph:  My friends, husband and Mom help me to realize that it is going to be just great and will be of adequate size (a little prayer didn't hurt either).

Triumph:  The foundation is dug, poured and looks great!


Trial:  Bryce gets to thinking something is not quite right.  After measuring and looking at the plans (for the hundreth, millionth time) it is decided that our "as built plans" from the architect* (whom we really like) are short by 8 inches.  This means that our original house was mismeasured and the addition is not as wide as it could be by 8 inches.  I know that 8 inches does not sound like a lot, but I think it is the difference between a tight passage between chairs and an easy passage between chairs.  Also, if I were 8 inches taller I would be a lot taller!

Triumph:  A meeting is set with our architect and builder who comes up with a way to make everything right (a bit of canterlevering) and we will now will have a slightly wider porch and bathroom!

Triumph: Harris is going to have built-in entertainment this summer because he loves to watch the guys work!



*I want to say that our architect is very, very qualified and we are very happy with our plans.  The goof up was simply a human error!

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I wanted to let you know I linked to your blog in my post today. My son is having a science birthday party in a week, and your posts of Harris' party were a great inspiration to be as I was serching for ideas!I hope Jonathan's party will be as much fun as Harris' was!Thanks for the inspiration on this and many other things!
    Enjoy the new addition on the house, it will be great!
    Thanks,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only things could just go smoothly the first time around! I always think I need to pay the workers for babysitting, the kids just stare for hours out the windows! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited about your add on...it's going to be great..and I bet Harris is going to be in heaven! Too much fun! =)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips