Monday, May 16, 2011

Granola (Nut Free!)

Please meet my newest obsession, homemade granola.  I haven't made granola in a long time because most recipes have an abundance of nuts in it.  In fact, my favorite granola recipe from The Summer Book by Susan Branch has a cup of nuts in it.  I looked up "nut free" granola recipes on the web, but none of them sounded good to me. In the end, I ended up using Susan's basic recipe and changed some ingredients around.  In fact, I think you can pretty much add or take away ingredients to fit your needs (her recipe calls for sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds and raisins minus the apricots and chocolate chips).

It is so, so good.  I can frequently be found with my spoon hovered over the bowl having "just one more bite."

Granola (adapted from Susan Branch)

5 cups oats
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
dried apricots, chopped*
dark chocolate chips*
*however many you like!

Combine the first 6 ingredients and spread on a cookie sheet in a layer.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add coconut for last 5 minutes and toast.  Remove from oven and let cool.  When completely cool add apricots and chocolate chips.  

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love granola! It's delicious! Homemade is by far the BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips