Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Classic Children's Books


One of our "empty nest" list items for the children is to read the classics of children's literature with them.  In an effort to get myself organized I thought I should make a list of the books that fall under this category.  I started by doing a little research and was completely overwhelmed by the many, many books that are considered classics of children's literature.  Every list I found was a little different.  Some only allowed books older than 40 years, some included picture books and some blurred the lines between children and adult books.

In the end, I decided to make a list of older books that I want to make sure that my children read before they leave home.  I'm not including more contemporary books that are just as important to me that my children read (Harry Potter, Hatchet, Stone Fox, Holes, Bridge to Terabithia, Tuck Everlasting, etc.) because that is a whole separate list!  I'm also not including picture books- again, a separate list.

I feel sure that I will be adding to this list.  Please, please share what you would have to add to your own list (even if it's not a classic!).

The Secret Garden
Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie
Winnie the Pooh
Pippi Longstocking
Peter Pan
The Wind in the Willows
The Three Muskateers
The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter
Swiss Family Robinson
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Anne of Green Gables
Black Beauty
Little Women
Aesop's Fables
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Black Stallion
The Reluctant Dragon
The Jungle Books
Chronicles of Narnia
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Heidi
Treasure Island
Mary Poppins
Charlotte's Web
Stuart Little
The Velveteen Rabbit
Robinson Crusoe
A Christmas Carol
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Frankenstein
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Borrowers
The Hobbit
Gulliver's Travels
Shakespeare
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Fairy Tales (Hans Christian Andersen)

P.S.  I thought this was a very comprehensive list!

7 comments:

  1. Great idea to have a list of books to read before they leave home! I need to get my list ready ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend...I read this list and lost count of the number of books on it that I haven't read...I'm a little overwhelmed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna!! I wrote a comment about your lovely bookshelf that was recently featured on Ohdeedoh, but then I realized that was a post from awhile back and you might not see the comment.
    So, hello! I love your blog! I love that you love books! I'd like to invite you to come visit me at my site: http://www.juliasbookbag.com/ -- I write about Children's Books! We're lots of fun! (I think.) Aloha and hope to chat soon, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great list! Thanks again for the inspiration. We have fallen in love with Peter Pan since going to the play! What about Huckleberry Finn or Moby Dick? We are reading Pipi right now - I was amazed at how much I hadn't remembered from reading it as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift to give your kids!!! They will not only enjoy the stories, but the special time together!!! Once in awhile my fifteen year old even asks me to read to him... I enjoy reading with and to my kids! Thanks for the reminder friend. Xoxoxxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I treasure all your book lists...you truly know how to find books that are life long keepers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I love all these books but instantly thought of my favorite- Where the Red Fern Grows.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips