Sunday, May 1, 2011

Celebritrees

We've been unusually busy the past week or two.  It's felt right and not stressful, but there have been a few things that were overlooked that I would have liked to have touched on or celebrated with the children.  Earth Day was completely ignored because it was on Good Friday and Arbor Day was passed over because I was too excited about the royal wedding!

Whereas we didn't plant a tree or bake tree treats, we did read a new book that celebrates trees.  Celebritrees, Historic & Famous Trees of the World by Margi Preus expounds on 14 trees that have historical and/or legendary significance.  The book explains why each tree is important (age, size, historical significance) and the illustrations are charming and engaging.  It's a fascinating read that shines a light on how important trees have always been and will continue to be.

On a side note, I was thrilled to see "the tree that owns itself" in Athens, Georgia featured in the book!  I grew up seeing and hearing about this fabulous tree!

4 comments:

  1. You always seem to know about the best books! I love it! I will have to check this one out as well! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post... ditto on both Earth Day and Arbor Day... love this book idea & was going to ask if "The Tree That Owns Itself" is featured in the book and then saw it mentioned at the end of your post... I grew up in Athens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with SHERRI... if I need a book idea YOU ARE THE GIRL!! It was hard having Good Friday on Earth Day this year... WE have never celebrated Arbor day, but maybe next year?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trees are high on the list of one of God's greatest and most giving creations! Celebrate trees!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips