Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Farewell Playhouse


Over the weekend Bryce and the children took down the playhouse.  It needed to come down because it had outlived its usefulness - it was too small for a 6 year old and a 9 year old and it was starting to show signs of its age and exposure to the elements.  However, I was still sad to see it go.  The small little house represented small little children and seeing it go was another reminder that my babies are really no longer babies.

We got the "plans" for the playhouse from an old Martha Stewart Kids and it really was darling.  Sadly, it had a flaw that we didn't foresee and didn't play out well in the long run.  The door and all of the windows were completely open which allowed a lot of the outside to make its way to the inside of the playhouse.  For whatever reason this was always an issue for our children (I'm not sure why, they have no issue being dirty!).

So here's my question.  Do we build another playhouse?  Bryce thinks it would be a fun project to do when Al and Marilyn visit and the children are all for it (they also have opinions about what it should have in it - loft anyone?).  I'm worried that they are getting too old and that it would be time and money for something that wouldn't get used.  What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I can't disagree with your thoughts. It's possible that unless it is large enough for the children to plan/have parties with friends, decorate it and such, they may not retain an interest. It would be fun to build. Are there any options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children had a lovely lofted playhouse with real windows and doors that they played in everyday until they were about 10 and then used as a place for outdoor sleepovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kiddos(3&9) got a very nice playhouse for Christmas with a loft space. I thought our 9 year old would like calling it a clubhouse. I keep thretening to sell it on ebay because it has only been played in a few times. They seem to prefer bikes and scooters. Crazy isn't it? I remember playing for hours in my neighbors playhouse. I have to say it is great to have an extra place to store toys. I would definately get your kids ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you do a tree house? grace might not be up for it, but harris might. depends though. go with your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be cool to build one as a miniature "guest house" for the kids. So that even when they are older they can spend time out there with thier friends. In my parents old house we had one with electricity and everything and I would have sleepovers out there... it was cool. Maybe a bit expensive to build though. For the amount of use it would get from older children it might be better to do something different or sports related?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say build another!!! You will never regret doing it, but you might regret not!!! Even if they only had another two years to enjoy it.... That is two years! Plus you could decorate and make it all snazzy like you love to do! I,d say girls could easily do teas and parties and play until 11? Or perhaps 40?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would still play in the play house! =) But for serious kid play, they may be tipping over play house fun in the next couple of years...unless you put a radio, and floor pillows, for the preteen hangout!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips