Monday, April 4, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie


Several people have asked me to share our chicken potpie recipe.  We love it!  I also love that it's homemade but has several shortcuts that make it easy to put together (rotisserie chicken and frozen pie crust!).  I'm not sure where this recipe came from, probably from a magazine of my Moms!

Chicken Potpie

2 TBLS butter
1 medium onion
4 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 TBLS flour
3 TBLS heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups shredded chicken (I use a rotisserie)
1 cup frozen peas
herb of choice to season with (I like rosemary the best, but use whatever I have)
2 deep dish pie crusts

Preheat to 400 degrees.  In saute pan heat butter and add onions, carrots, celery and garlic.  Cook until carrots begin to soften, about 6 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Stir in heavy cream and broth and stir to combine.  Stir in chicken, peas and herbs and bring to a boil.
Pour mixture into 1 pie crust (on top of a cookie sheet to catch any drips!).  Put 2nd pie crust (out of tin) on top of chicken .  Brush with a little extra cream and vent.  Bake 35 minutes.

P.S.  How do you like my pie bird?  I picked it up several weeks ago at an antiques store.   I love the charm it adds.

3 comments:

  1. Yippee! I'm going to try this one! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! So what is the function of the pie bird. He is quite adorable, but does he do something to make it bake better? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! The original purpose of the pie bird was to allow the pies to vent. In fact, they were most often used on savory pies! I think they serve the same purpose as cutting slits in the pie. So I don't think it makes it better, just cuter!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips