Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhogs Day and a Stash


It's 1 o'clock in the afternoon and I'm still in my pajamas.  So are the children.  We woke up this morning to a layer of ice covering everything in sight so we are staying holed up in the house today!  But of course we had to celebrate Groundhogs Day!  And on a day like today it's nice to know that an early spring is on its way!

Years ago, I made Grace and a few of her friends the most adorable groundhog cupcakes.  The body of the groundhog was made with an Almond Joy though and that was out of the question for Harris since he is highly allergic to almonds!  So I sculpted a body out of a tootsie roll and it worked perfectly (did you know that if you microwave a tootsie roll for a few seconds you can mold it however you want?).  For the snow I used a marshmallow and heated it up in the microwave too- I didn't feel like whipping up frosting for two cupcakes!  I used cinnamon chips for the ears and mini chocolate chips for the cheeks.  Also, here's the guy we made last year.


You know what is nice?  After making fun little goodies for the past 8, almost 9, years I've collected quite a stash of candy and sprinkles.  Now when I get a whim to make something I don't necessarily have to go and buy ingredients, I can just go to my stash!  Some people collect fabric, I collect candy (and maybe a little fabric too)!


7 comments:

  1. So cute!I luv the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!I luv the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute. How long do stash items last... I have been wondering this. I have tons of left over halloween candy and christmas candy that are in a tupperware that I think I could keep around for that type of stuff, but I don't know if they keep very long. maybe you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fine looking fellow. Personally I'm hoping for three more months of winter. So many indoor projects need completing before outdoor work calls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah- I think that candy (especially hard, individually wrapped candy), sprinkles and such last for a LONG time. Maybe a little too long? At least in my experience they have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect candy too.... for the very same reason!
    I absolutely love your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling and sweet little ground hogs!!!!! I have the same stash boxes... Sprinkles are like sunshine in a jar! Wish we lived close enough to share stash stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips