Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blog Books

I'm published!  Yeah!  It's only a run of one but it's still thrilling to see my name on a book!


Two and a half years ago when I started this blog I had two goals.  One was to keep family and friends updated on the happenings of our life and the other was to make a family scrapbook- a record of our daily doings!  My Mom and I have scrapbooked together for years and I have beautiful and meaningful scrapbooks of the children's younger years, but scrapbooking takes so much time and I only journaled big occasions.  The blog allows me to journal about inconsequential (in the long run) things as well as things that tickle my fancy.  I love that about blogging.


Originally, I found the process of making my blog into a book daunting and difficult.  I had many stops and starts and that's why it took me two and a half years to get the first two years done!  I used Blurb software that will "slurp" your blog into book format.  The problem is that it doesn't necessarily make sense or look good!   I altered each and every page to look as I wanted it to look.  At first it was very frustrating to figure everything out, but once I got a rhythm and style it went fairly smoothly.


The most difficult part was figuring out a style for the book.  I wanted to make each and every picture big and beautiful on the page but that was not at all realistic.  Doing that would have meant that my book was way to big and I couldn't have done a year at a time (more like a few months at a time).  I finally decided that what I really wanted to have was a record of the words that accompanied each entry and the pictures would serve as a support to those words.  Therefore, on some pages the pictures are actually quite small.  I was worried that they would be teeny tiny, but in reality they are just fine.  The most time consuming part of the book was the editing.  They print exactly what you have so any mistakes that are made are printed!  You are in control over every detail.  I definitely missed some things and the first book has more mistakes than I would like.  I did a much more thorough job on the second book- except I still missed that the spine of the books had different size fonts!  Oops.


I'm planning on making a book for each year that I blog.  I will keep the cover the same on each book, I set it up to look like my blog header (one of my favorite pictures of the children ever!) and Bryce even matched the color of the book exactly (something about color numbers?).


I also want to say thank you to those that stop by this space.  When I started blogging I had no idea that I would be able to connect with so many of you, and I appreciate your taking the time to stop in or leave a comment.  I've "meet" people in this space that I consider friends and I have been able to keep up with friends and family and for that I am most appriciative.  Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. Your books are beautiful! Thank you for all the inspiration you have provided to me for my family. I feel like we are caught up even though there isn't much phone time! Your effort is well worth it in those printed treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...that is so awesome! What a fantastic idea, I may have to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this... What a beautiful way to publish your wonderful ideas and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really lovely. What a great way to keep those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They turned out so great. The books are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those books are wonderful!
    My husband thought it was so funny when I told him we were blog friends. Really it's true! Glad that we "met" in a way we never would have in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inheritance and gift to leave for future generations. Congratulations on the success of your perseverance. The books are impressive and precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Anna, I know you have been working on these for a very long time!! Can't wait to see them in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found this project to be very frustrating as well, and so far I have not finished a year. I hope to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is an ABSOLUTE TREASURE to have your beautiful work, creative memories and YOUR LIFE in print. REALLY AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips