Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sick Days

We are in day 3 of being hit by some some awful bug that took Grace completely down for 2 days and is trying to get its yucky clutches on Harris.  We have been very low key (Grace literally didn't get out of bed Sunday!) and trying to do quite activities.


Before Christmas I bought paper dolls for the children with the intention of pulling them out when we needed a quite activity.  Normally, I would not have purchased Harris a paper doll but Lily and Thistle was offering a two for one special so there was no reason not to.  I'm so glad that I did!  Harris has enjoyed the doll and I have been astounded at how well he can cut out the clothes!


These dolls are the sweetest thing I have seen in a long time, and I'm so pleased that the children are enjoying them.  Honestly, the dolls capture my romantic vision of what childhood should be.  They are beautiful, and full of happiness and sweet innocence.  I'm also delighted that she offers storybook character clothes for the dolls.  Plus, you can print them out at home!


I've made batches of chicken and rice soup.  I even tried my hand at gluten free biscuits.


I also introduced the children to the newest winner of the Caldecott medal, A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead.  This book is a delightful read!  The story is wonderful and the illustrations are soothing, sweet and endearing all at the same time!  Perfect for an actual sick day!


(And of course, the children have been comforted by their hot water bottles- both the frog and the lamb- and our favorite quilt)

3 comments:

  1. The paper children look surprisingly like Grace and Harris. How did you manage that!? What a nice 'stay inside' pastime. Of course I remember cutting paper dolls as a child. Neat that the dolls and the water bottles are from days of yore. I recently read that chicken soup has actual healing qualities. What nurturing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Grace and Harris are sick, but I can't help thinking what a lovely sick day it must be. If it must be a sick day, might as well be a lovely sick day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you can make sick days seem so cozy and sweet! I hope you guys are all better now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips