Monday, January 10, 2011

How to Make Snow Candy


On our way home from Maine this past summer we listened to Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Both of the children really, really enjoyed the book and I've been waiting for snow to come our way so that we could try our hand at making Snow Candy like they make in the book.


For our first attempt at Snow Candy I simply read the passage in the book about the candy and tried to copy the "instructions."  Unfortunately, the hot maple syrup immediately melted the snow and we were left with a watery maple syrup mixture.  Of course, it did not go to waste since the children immediately began to slurp it down with a straw!


Our next attempt was successful and delicious!  The first step is to get a plate of (clean) snow.


We found that the key is boiling the pure maple syrup to candy temperature. We let it go to around 225 degrees but you could also just boil it for 5 or 6 minutes.  Keep an eye on the syrup because it does tend to bubble up and you don't want it to overflow.  Obviously, the children did not handle the boiling syrup or pot!


After it has boiled let the syrup cool for about 2 minutes and then pour it onto the plate of  snow.


It will immediately start to stiffen into soft little pieces of "candy."  Enjoy!  (I tried to get a good picture of the candy but everyone was eating it too fast- including Bryce!)


6 comments:

  1. What a fun project! Ah, I can't wait to share the Little House books with my little ones (we haven't even hit the Dr. Seuss phase over here). I'm making a note to try this "recipe" when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. I have heard of people doing this, but have never tried it. Now that I know it works I may have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy...
    I hope you had a great birthday!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a simply delicious old timey 'dish' to make with children. Sounds like Bryce was pleased it was made when he was home. Someone here loves maple too, so I'm considering it. Could test a bit in cold water as it cooks. High altitude you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing this today!!!!!
    Right now!!!!
    Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw this over on Families are Fun! Very cool! Kerri

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips