Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract


For Christmas I gave friends and neighbors homemade vanilla extract.  It was super easy and fun to make.  In fact, the hardest part about the whole thing was starting 8 weeks before Christmas!


I got most of my information from this post on Design Mom.  I did a lot of looking on the internet before I started, but to be honest they were all pretty much the same- put split vanilla beans in vodka and let sit for eight weeks.  I ordered all of the vanilla beans from Amazon and they were a great value, especially when you compare to what you would spend at the grocery store for just a few!  They made the extract a rich, beautiful color!


The bottles were from here, and I ordered the lovely labels from Felix Doolittle.

5 comments:

  1. Yum...we made homemade cranberrybinfused vodka. It is also easy and delicioud!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's how it's done. Interesting. And so clever for gift-giving. Homemade but not over involved. I'll have to consider that for our friends. Everyone uses vanilla, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips