Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mousekin's Golden House


When Grace was in kindergarten she only asked for three things for Christmas. One of the items on her wish list was Mousekin's Golden House by Edna Miller, a book that her teacher had read in class. She absolutely adored this book! Not only was it about the natural world but it was also about a mouse (which she has always had a fondness for, did I ever post about her mouse party?). Unfortunately, the book has been out of print for a long time. Santa was able to track down an already loved copy and it is now a treasured part of our library.

The premise of the story is that a mouse finds a discarded jack-o-lantern after Halloween and adopts it as his house. He adds feathers and thistle down and then settles in for the winter in his golden house. The illustrations in this book are beautiful and gentle and the story is charming. The last page of the story can't help but make you smile.

This year we made our very own mouse house using one of our carved pumpkins. Marilyn read the story to the children and then we stuffed the bottom of the pumpkin with cotton (taken from the jewelry boxes I used for Harris' birthday invitation) and some feathers. The children picked out a spot in the very back part of the yard to put it in. We only hope that it makes a mouse very happy.



2 comments:

  1. This is so adorable!
    I am going to try and track down that book...sounds great! I love to hear about children books that are priceless...I feel my collection is priceless! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this book! But have no idea where my copy is. I'll have to start scouting used book stores.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips