Is anyone else as shocked as I am that tomorrow is December 1st? I can hardly believe that it is time for the advent calendar*! But time it is and the children are giddy with excitement.
This year we have something else new to do each night leading up to Christmas. A friend's thoughtful Mom gave me an advent candle that I am so exited to begin using tomorrow! It reminds me of our birthday candles that we had when we were children. I just know that the children will love watching the candle get smaller and smaller as we creep, or fly, towards Christmas.
1. Christmas pajamas
2. Write letters to Santa
3. Go to lighting of the tree
4. Introduce the giving jar
5. Make a batch of peppermint hot chocolate
6. Piece of candy
7. Go for hot chocolate together
8. Make candy ornaments and garland
9. Christmas book
10. Watch Frosty the Snowman and eat snowman sundaes
11. Go see the Nutcracker ballet
12. Work on sibling gifts
13. Sit by the fire and read the Christmas story
14. Make gift tags from old Christmas cards
15. Old fashioned candy cane
16. Surprise dates with Mom and Dad
17. Decorate gingerbread houses
18. Make rice crispy wreath cookies
19. Sing carols together
20. Striped gum
21. Make Christmas balls for the birds
22. A chocolate truffle treat
23. Put on pajamas and go look at Christmas lights
24. Pajamas (again!)
*I should note that I'm really flexible on our advent calendar activities. Sometimes we just run out of time and can't do an activity so they might get a treat instead. Or I might move the activities around because of unexpected conflicts. You just never know what might happen at Christmas! Also, the children don't seem to care that many of these activities are the same year after year!
Post Edit: After a moment of online searching I found the candle here.