Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Picture Books and Halloween



Several years ago we began reading our nightly books by candlelight the week before Halloween. It adds a bit of excitement to our nightly routine and is a great opportunity to read seasonal picture books. This year I discovered this wonderful list of Halloween picture books and immediately went about reserving each one at our local library! We've been able to read several "new to us" books each night!

On another note. Did anyone read this article? How sad to think that picture books are on the decline. Personally, I see this as just one more way we are pushing our children too much, too soon. While I was still teaching we certainly read many chapter books, but we read a gazillion picture books too. In fact, some of my favorite picture books are best read to older children! I'm in no way saying that young children shouldn't read chapter books (need I mention Harris' love of one Mr. Willy Wonka?) but that there is just as much value, if not more, in a good picture book as in a good chapter book. I will now step off of my soap box (which is actually very difficult- I feel I could talk about this for a while!).

4 comments:

  1. What a fun thing to do!

    I read picture books to my students all the time to kick off lessons...they even still like to sit in a circle around me!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea... reading Halloween books by candlelight! It makes me so sad reading that article and hearing picture books are on the decline. We need to spend more time allowing our kids to use their imaginations and enjoy being kids, instead of pushing them into being young adults so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea!

    The woman in the article who is quoted (and has a book blog of her own) wrote on her blog that she felt she was very much misquoted. Honestly, I felt like the article was sort of making a mountain out of molehill. It's the recession; book sales are down. But all that means for my family is that we're checking out picture books from the library more than buying them. My oldest is 4 and is learning to read, but there's no way that means the end of picture books. Frankly, I was still buying picture books for myself in my teens and 20s before I had kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Ezra and his friends are only 6 and he seems to want to read all of the books that are popular at school like Harry Potter ans Spiderwick Cronicles. Although I am glad that books have been made popluar by movies, I wish they were not mostly chapter books as I prefer to read picture books also. Keep the inocence and youth as long as we can, I say.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips