Friday, October 15, 2010

A desk for Grace



I am so excited to share with you Grace's new desk! We have been working on this desk, mostly on weekends, for about a month. It wasn't difficult to make, but it did take time to paint, wallpaper and put together.

I've been hesitant to put a desk in Grace's room for fear that it would sit there unused. However, after three years of watching Grace's homework habits I finally decided that she really was ready for a desk in her room. And not just for homework but for craft projects, journal writing, and letter writing too.

There was no question in my mind what sort of desk was going to be right for Grace. I've had it in mind for a while that the one featured in Martha Stewart Kids would be perfect for her and her room. She has been needing an upgrade in the bookcase department and she enjoys displaying her many nicknacks and special projects. Imagine her delight to have two bookshelves!


We picked up two bookshelves from an unfinished wood furniture store.

We primed and painted the bookshelves white.

I wallpapered the backs of the bookshelves with pink and white gingham wallpaper.


Bryce attached brackets to the sides of the bookshelves for the desk to sit upon. After the wood was installed he put a finished piece of wood on the front!

We were able to use Grace's doll storage chest as the seat for the desk. It works perfectly! I love that Harris, friends or Mom and Dad can sit with her at the desk!

I'm happy to report that Grace absolutely LOVES her new desk and is using it daily!


5 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Grace's desk and bookcases look fabulous. What a beautiful bedroom she has. She seems like such a sweet little girl, with lots of cuddles for her little brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love how streamlined it looks. What a great idea and great use of space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with 'mommyinthemountains'! Smart use of space. You all did a great job as usual. Grace should do some good thinking there with a bonus of natural light. I love a window at my work place. So happy for her.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips