Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A quiche story


I have always struggled with the question of what to eat the evening, afternoon or morning that we get back from a vacation. We have often straggled in around dinnertime with no notion of what to fix from our very empty refrigerator and cabinets. The obvious solution would be to order pizza, but more often than not we are tired of eating out at restaurants and are ready for some home cooking.

I think I might have found an answer that kills several birds with one stone. Quiche! I doubled the recipe to make two pies instead of one. This also helped me to use up perishables that were in my refrigerator such as eggs, milk and cheese. I cooked both of the quiches, we ate one for dinner and I froze the other one.

Since we got back from Maine in the very late hours of the night we enjoyed the quiche (warmed up in the oven) the next day for lunch. A very yummy solution to my problem!

P.S. This was an heirloom tomato and onion quiche that was absolutely delicious. A friend gave me the recipe but I think she must have gotten it from here.

P.S.S. It would be ideal to serve the quiche with a side salad but since our cupboards were bare we did without.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I love tomato and onion pie. Did it thaw well? I've always been afraid to freeze eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm. Looks excellent. I'll check out the recipe in spite of my 'other half' not having a taste for quiche.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips