Sunday, September 12, 2010

Maine- Bringing books to life



I've saved my favorite thing we did in Maine for last. You all know that I love children's books and I firmly believe that reading opens up whole worlds for children that they might never know if it weren't for books. Therefore, I really try to make books come alive for the children whenever I can. This trip provided a unique opportunity to make several books "real" to the children and provide them some insight as to how an author can be inspired by what is around them. I loved it as much- if not more than- the children did.

A Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey

Bucks Harbor was only about 10 minutes away from where we stayed while in Maine. It was a thrill to realize that the pictures he drew looked exactly like the real buildings! Sadly, Condon's Garage closed a few years ago but the building looks the same, we even found the pumps where the gas used to be!






Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

E.B. White lived in Brooksville, Maine. We visited the sweet library that it is said he was fond of and the librarian showed us some prints, from his book Stuart Little, that he donated to the library.



We also drove by his (privately owned) old home.

Grace and I also went to the Blue Hill County Fair! The fair that Charlotte and Wilbur go to in Charlotte's Web was based off of this very fair! (Unfortunately, Harris and Bryce were not able to go with us because we had all spent the day at the ER for a potential appendicitis case. Fortunately, it was not appendicitis but Harris was exhausted and still not feeling great!)

Grace loved the fair and we had a really nice time together though I will admit that seeing the fair through my adult eyes was a lot different than I remember it as a child! Grace wanted to go on the Farris Wheel first since Fern and Henry Fussy spent time together on this ride!







Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey

I just happened to throw this in my bag before we left. As the week progressed on and it looked like Hurricane Earl was going to be coming our way Bryce and I had a good laugh that maybe this was taking the concept of bringing books to life a little too literally! Fortunately, all we got was some heavy rain.

The children enjoyed seeing references in the book to things that they had seen during the week such as Pumpkin Island and the Victory Chimes!

P.S. Can someone tell me if these pictures are clickable to make them bigger? They used to be but now they no longer are for me!

4 comments:

  1. I get a clicky hand when I hover over the pictures, but nothing happens when I click. Blogger glitch?

    I love the idea of making storybooks a reality through a family vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to bring books to life.... Looks like you had a lovely vacation in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea indeed!!

    I didn't know that the pictures in "A morning in Maine" were pictures of real places, real houses, etc...

    Lovely indeed! I'm so enamored with the book I recently reviewed it - it is smashing!

    Read Aloud Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - I meant "One morning in Maine"!

    Read Aloud Dad

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips