Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Creativity Crisis?


One of my greatest concerns about our education system is that it seems as if creative and critical thinking skills are taking a backseat to the pursuit of facts, figures and rote memory. Personally, I would rather my children know how to figure out a problem than be armed with the exact instructions on how to solve the problem. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, it also seems as if family life is often so busy that it leaves children with little time to be creative and use their imaginations.


Last week, I came across this article on the decline of creativity in children (for the first time ever!) and read it with a sinking heart. What would this mean for our children? Is this one more thing that I'm not doing that I should be?


Then I remembered. My children play. A lot. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, this decline in creativity might not need to be my greatest concern. Besides, the list of things we might not be doing right for our children is long enough. Why add one more thing to the list?


5 comments:

  1. Amen! This has been heavy on my heart as well. And like you, I beat myself up...and then I remember that I too, encourage creativity! I have to say...from following your blog, you are an amazing mother and your children are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU have it completely covered.... Your parenting style provides a beautiful environment for your kiddos to flourish creatively . I haven't read the article yet, but so much of this decline must be related to tv and computer time!!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read the article and am sharing it with others involved with children. Would like to see an epidemic of child creativity, self-expression, and scientific awareness. The article is a challenge to adults to be aware and to be proactive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog and I'm so glad to have found it, but I must disagree with you a bit about your reaction to the The Creativity Crisis article - I think it's obvious to us all that you are doing a great job encouraging creativity in your children, and in fact I think your blog serves to inspire others to encourage creativity (and thank you!) - which is exactly why I believe we all do need to add this one more thing to our lists. Yes, we can all encourage our own children to be creative, but if that's all we do then I believe things will only get worse - because our kids spend such a large portion of their days at school & doing homework. If we don't do anything to encourage our kids' teachers to encourage creativity in the classroom, then the creativity crisis will only get worse. BUT, if we all do just one simple thing more, if we all start to talk to our kids' teachers and principals and school administrators, and let them know that encouraging creativity is something we value greatly and want to see more of, then we can effect change in our kids' schools. Just by the power of conversation. If one drop of water raises the level of the sea, imagine what a tidal wave will do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info, thanks for posting. If you are looking for a portable barbecue then you really shouldn’t look any further. This thang rocks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips