Monday, July 5, 2010

The 4th of July


I hope you all had a great 4th of July! We had a nice, relaxed day and managed to celebrate the birth of our country with breakfast, lunch and dinner (have you ever noticed that every celebration revolves around food at our house?!).

We started the day with flag toast. I make this every year for the children and they still love it. It's as simple as can be with cream cheese for the base, jelly for the stripes and blueberries for the stars!


For lunch we had a simple picnic in the children's garden where blessed shade was in abundance!


Even the fairy houses got decorated for the 4th!

Late in the afternoon we went over to Gretchen's house for dinner and some pool time. I brought a dessert which gave me the perfect opportunity to try a cake that I have been in awe over for some time! I found the cake on the blog 17 and Baking. (For the record- at 17 I was still asking my Mom to make my sandwiches for me!). I must say that it really was not a difficult cake to make and put together but its impact is beautiful! I love that on the outside it's just a plain white cake and the inside takes center stage! I think it has become my favorite holiday cake.



Putting the cake together creates a lot of scraps so I used them to make little cakes for the children.


We ended the day with some fun sparklers and fireworks that John generously provided!


P.S. We have had a crazy fun, busy week and a half since school got out. We've camped, vacationed and celebrated. Now it's time to slow down and catch up on some rest! As I type this Grace is still asleep and it's 10:36 in the morning! Harris, who did not really sleep in, is a wee bit grumpy.

4 comments:

  1. What a neat cake! I will have to check that blog out.

    Sounds like a day full of eating and fun!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is simple, but it really looks delicious. You have a great family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Anna. You are really making me feel bad - I have totally dropped the ball and I barely resemble Martha any more. You are awesome. You are making such wonderful memories for your children! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips