Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

We celebrated Earth day by biking, eating and reading!

Grace and Bryce started the morning off by biking to school. It seems that often what is good for the environment is also good for our bodies! Funny how that works.

I decided to try to cook dinner using only locally grown foods. Harris and I went to a local farm and purchased pork chops and then made a trip to the farmers market and gathered up asparagus and sweet potatoes. Dinner was very good but I'm troubled because I had to travel to two separate places to get the ingredients for dinner and the pork chops cost $23! I could not spend that on a regular everyday meal nor could I (or want to) travel to the stores to gather ingredients like I did today. Also, I was in my car for far longer than I normally would be... does that really help? I think this time of year also makes it difficult. (We are still members of the farm and love it, but it isn't yet harvesting time for anything!)



The children and I made a cake that was meant to resemble the earth for dessert. I think that it turned out super cute and was easy too. I got the idea here. I just can't think of cake without frosting so we decided to add some clouds!



At bedtime we read the picture book, All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon . I love how this book conveys in simple words that though the world is large and we are small we are still one.

4 comments:

  1. Ok the cake and then the clouds, so cute and fun! Love it, you do such great things with your kids. They are going to cherish these memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great way to celebrate a great day! nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just picked up some farm fresh Asparagus from a roadside farm stand in western colorado, so will think of your "Earth Day" meal when we eat it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you thought of such a clever way to include frosting. Where there's a will . . . . . Yummm.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips