Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Rainbow Cake


We have had a glorious two days here. Sunny, with perfect temperatures. The children's shoes have come off (we've even had our first splinter), short sleeves have appeared and nothing much has gotten done. My house is a wreck, there is a pile of laundry to be washed and sorted and lots of clutter on my countertops. And yet I have not addressed any of that. Instead I have chosen to sit outside watching the children play and to visit with friends. I think a connection with a friend with whom you haven't touched based with in months is just as important as a clean house. Right?

Yesterday, partly to celebrate St. Patrick's day and partly just because I wanted to, I made a rainbow cake. I love how cheery it is. It was the perfect cake to celebrate the arrival of spring (and of Leprechauns).

The cake itself was not difficult to make, it just created a lot of dishes! I used Wilton food gel so that I could get the bright, intense colors, and I did have to make two cakes in order to get all 6 layers. If you are wondering why some layers are thicker than others it's because I forgot to put in the baking powder in the first cake so it turned out a bit dense. Oh well... it still tasted good!

My favorite part is the blue sky and the clouds. They are so happy. Just like us.

P.S. It must be something about this time of year because last year I made this cake.

2 comments:

  1. What a perfect time to make that cake!!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake is fantastic! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips