Sunday, February 21, 2010

An experiment with carnations

In preparation for Valentine's Day we performed a science experiment- complete with words such as hypothesis, control group and capillary action! The purpose of our experiment was to color carnations the colors of Valentines using food coloring and water. I thought this experiment guaranteed success so I was surprised when we did not get the different colors I was expecting!

We used three different colors for the experiment- pale pink, hot pink and red. I used my paste Wilton food colors to color the water. I wonder if this food coloring is not strong enough for this experiment? Did we leave the stems too long? All questions that I suppose good scientists ask!


We did get some pale pinks but they were from the red and hot pink jars. The pale pink jar carnations all stayed white.


Even if the experiment didn't go quite as I had expected we still ended up with a lovely bouquet for our Valentine's brunch!

P.S. I really have to comment on how surprised I was at the cost of carnations! I have always been under the impression that carnations were inexpensive. When I called up a local florist before Valentine's day she quoted me $27 a dozen!! Needless to say I passed. We ended up getting them from a grocery store florist (the least expensive ones we could find) and they were still $1 a stem! Is that crazy or am I out of touch?

4 comments:

  1. Girl...you still have lots of school teacher left in you!!

    Pretty shocking that carnations were pricey...hmmm!

    I remember doing this same experiment in elementary school with daffodils. It worked really well.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The liquid coloring works best! It also helps to cut a slit up the stem to expose more area and then tahdah colored carnations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria- Thank you for the advice! I think that I am going to have to try again... maybe St. Patrick's day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The liquid coloring works best! It also helps to cut a slit up the stem to expose more area and then tahdah colored carnations.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips