Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chicken Tacos


We have recently added a new staple to our dinner repertoire. It's one of those recipes that is so easy it's silly and so good that the whole family loves it! I will warn you that it does have a bit of a kick but I think you can control that by the type of salsa that you use and how much of the chiptole peppers you put in. The recipe is from Everyday Food by Martha Stewart and it literally takes 5 minutes to throw together (but several hours to cook). I've only used the oven method.

Chili Chicken Tacos

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1 tablespoon chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
taco shells
cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream for serving

In a slow cooker combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chiles, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, and shred, using two forks.

Oven Method: Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Add 2 cups of water and cover. Cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours.

P.S. Mine don't look as good as the above picture.

P.S.S. I have gotten Everyday Food since it was introduced. Therefore, I have about 60 of the tiny magazines. This means that not only are they really beginning to take up too much space, but it can take forever to browse for a recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with them or how to organize them?

6 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when you find something EASY that everyone loves! Another easy chicken taco dish is to put 4 boneless, skinless breasts in a slow cooker with a 28oz can of Las Palmas green enchilada sauce and cook for 6 hours on low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe looks great!

    I have the same problem with Everyday Food. Love it BUT...where to store it? I usually use the online recipe index to find my great Chicken Posole, Spinach Pie or the other recipes that I go back to so often.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all Everyday Food recipe's are on line at http://www.marthastewart.com/everyday-food.

    For example, use "Recipe Search" in the left hand column, search for Taco and you quickly fine the recipe this Taco recipe.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. mine share space with the kids craft bins in the kitchen. but knowing your hubby he could throw together a custom shelf that would fit inside a regular cabinet and you could have them double stacked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually call someone and say "hey do you know where I can find blah blah blah recipe". If they say no then I just make cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our remodel was something that scared me but, then I found out that kitchen design help was out there. Go where the pros go and get the job done right.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips