Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas books




Do you know what I love more than children's books? Children's Christmas books! We have quite the collection and add at least one every year. Growing up we always read the same books on Christmas Eve and Bryce and I have continued that tradition. In fact, we literally read from the same books that we read as children. Here are our favorites...

The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Gyo Fujikawa was the last book that we read before going to bed on Christmas Eve. Of course, this could just be nostalgia at it's best but I don't think any other edition of this classic story holds a (Christmas) candle to this one. The illustrations are magical. I love it.

The Sweet Smells of Christmas by Patricia M. Scarry. Again, this is a childhood favorite. I believe that my sister and I both got our own copy when we left home. It's a scratch and scent book which makes it even more special (even though ours lost it's scent a long time ago!). Whenever I read this book I can feel Bears excitement for Christmas!

Santa Mouse by Michael Brown. We just discovered this book a couple of years ago but it is already a favorite. In fact, my children began leaving a piece of cheese out along side Santa's cookies!

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry. This is such a cute book! It is fun to follow Mr. Willowby's treetops and find out where they land! We have a fondness for books that feature animals as "people like" and this fits the bill.

What are your favorites?

P.S. Amazon doesn't seem to have Santa Mouse except through third parties but I just saw a hardback Santa Mouse at Barnes and Noble in their discount bin for $6.00!


5 comments:

  1. I love how the Christmas tree lights reflecting in the window in that first photo appear as stars in the night sky. Everyone looks so relaxed and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down, our favorites are "The Story of Holly and Ivy" and "Santa Calls". Both have me in tears at the end. We also love "Auntie Claus" and "Bear Stays Up for Christmas". Happy Readings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I just saw The Story of Holly and Ivy in the store and judging a book by its cover I thought I would love it. Now I will certainly have to pick it up! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna - we celebrated an early Christmas with my father when he was here this week. Ellie got a new book that I love - another one that had me in tears at the end. "The Three Gifts of Christmas" by Jennie Bishop. It's a great story about a King and a Queen who are trying to teach their young daughter that Christmas is more about giving than receiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new favorite book--- "I LOVE CHRISTMAS" it is SOOOOO SWEET! Our scratch and sniff Christmas has lost all it's SMELL. I wonder if we can buy new stickers?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips