Sunday, September 20, 2009

A cake with a bow


This weekend I made a cake for a bridal shower that my mom hosted. I have not used a lot of fondants in the cakes that I have made. However, after doing a bit of research on the Internet it appeared to me that most bows were made out of fondant. I asked Kelly, who has made amazing cakes, if she would share her marshmallow fondant recipe with me. After a few false starts I had a pink fondant that was easy to make and was tasty too (my complaint about fondant has always been the taste).

Now I fully expected my bow to turn out as fabulous and beautiful as the one on the tutorial that I followed. As you can see...it didn't. I think that for my first try it was pretty good but there are a few things that I would do differently next time.

1. Make strips thicker. The ones that I made thicker held their shape better.
2. Make farther in advance. I didn't leave enough time for the fondant to dry out.
3. Use balled up wax paper to help it hold its shape while drying.
4. Use a different cutter. The pizza cutter I used pulled the fondant and didn't give a clean cut. (Thanks for the last two tips Kelly!)

One thing that I did do that I think was really helpful was use pink marshmallows. I didn't have to color the fondant and got a pretty pink to boot!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, that is wonderful for your first attempt!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips