Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bagel People and Number Salad


Grace's bagel face. I love the freckles!

We woke up this morning to a rainy, dreary day. I briefly thought about taking the children to the aquarium or some other fun destination, but I really needed to get some grocery shopping done and it just didn't seem to be in us to go on a big day trip.

So instead of going anywhere "fun" we made a day out of grocery shopping and cooking. The children picked out two recipes from a favorite cookbook, Pretend Soup by Molly Katzen. This is a great starter cookbook for children. The recipes are fun and easy for children to read.

I made a list of ingredients for each one of them and off we went to the market. Now let me tell you that if you have never taken a 7 year-old and a 4 year-old shopping with their very own grocery carts and long aisles just beckoning a full out run then you have missed out on an experience! I still can't believe I made it out of there without having a nervous breakdown!

The children made Number Salad and Bagel Faces. They made the recipes from start to finish with very little help from me. I even let them cut up the fruit - with a very dull knife. To be honest, I don't know when they ever would have tried sprouts if we hadn't made these bagels. They didn't really care for them but they did try them! Every other vegetable they ate with relish. Fun food always seems to do that!




After we finished eating our creations, I had Grace write in the cookbook. This is something that I always try to do so that I can remember what we liked - or didn't like - and to remember a special occasion, which this certainly was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips