Yesterday we made scarecrows for the garden. Several years ago I saw this idea in a magazine and thought it would be a fun addition to the garden, not to mention perhaps discouraging to a deer or two.
This project does require some set up time in the beginning because the body parts are pieces of wood cut and screwed together. It's really worth the extra effort though because the children love painting their faces, dressing themselves and it cheers up the garden.
Each spring when I go through the children's clothes I pull out an outfit that they can no longer wear. I try to use denim because it holds up the best in the elements.
Here's a shot of what the scarecrows look like naked!
We used paint specifically made for terra cotta. This year I got the paint pens for terra cotta as well and Grace definitely preferred them to the paint and paintbrushes. It can be difficult to paint on the rounded service!
I love that Grace added her freckles!
Harris went for a lot of color!
P.S. If anyone is interested in the specifics of how to make the scarecrow bodies just let me know and I can get them to you.