Monday, May 4, 2009

Reading aloud



I really want to share with you a book I have been reading that has confirmed all of my feelings and beliefs about how important reading aloud to your children really is. I had never heard of The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease until I read about it on inchmark. It sounded right up my ally so I immediately checked it out. I thought that it was going to be a list of good read aloud picture books and chapter books. However, over half of the book is dedicated toward the whys and hows of reading aloud to your children- young and old! It has thoroughly convinced me that I need to be reading even more to the children! It's a great resource for taking to the library or ordering books online. There are so many quality children's books out there but it can be overwhelming figuring out what to read. This book helps to point you in the right direction when looking for stellar children's literature.

Another book that I have had for a long time and refer to often is How to Get Your Child to Love Reading: For Ravenous and Reluctant Readers Alike by Esme Codell. This is a very thick book (500 pages!) that covers every area of reading with children that you can possibly think of. It is like having a personal librarian and teacher at your fingertips. It's not just a list of books but rather a treasure trove of reading ideas, activities and ways to make reading a life long love!



2 comments:

  1. We love reading to AnnaKate and she loves it too!

    I also know the importance of reading aloud to my kids at school and unfortunately it is the first thing to get cut on a busy day...

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book! I heard Jim Trelease speak a few years ago at the Reading Renaissance National Convention. Patricia Polacco was there, too. If you ever get a chance to hear her, GO! What a great storyteller!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips