Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tomato soup and grilled cheese

Bryce loves grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup! We had rainy, cold weather yesterday for Bryce's birthday so it was a perfect night for comfort food. For his birthday I got him these plates that have a bowl for soup and a place for the sandwich. I think that we will use them a lot. I've made this tomato soup for years and it's one of Bryce's favorites (and the children's). It's super easy to make. It came from Martha Stewart Kids magazine.

Also, my newest obsession is using thyme butter to make our grilled cheese sandwiches. In Family Fun magazine they had a recipe for grilled cheese croutons using the thyme butter. I don't make the croutons because they would get soggy in the soup, wouldn't they? You should try it; it's really good!

Creamy Tomato Soup

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Heat oil in medium stockpot. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and dried basil; cook 2 minutes more. Add tomatoes and the water; cook 10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat. Puree using an immersion blender (or use a blender). Bring to a simmer and add cream, salt and pepper. Stir to combine . Serve and enjoy!


Thyme butter

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

2 comments:

  1. Really cute plates. Did you make Bryce make his own grilled cheese?...I remember he made the best ones!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also one of my favorite meals. I think I'll make it soon!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips