Friday, April 24, 2009

Earth


To celebrate Earth Day, I took the children to see the new movie by Disneynature, Earth.  The movie's imagery was spectacular and awe inspiring - I recognized a lot of the footage fromthe BBC series, Planet Earth.  There were several times during the movie that I questioned whether the children were old enough to be watching.  It is not a movie for the faint of heart (which Grace can be).  They did not shy away from showing the circle of life!  There was never blood or gore but it showed predators on the hunt and at one point during the movie Grace looked at me with tears in her eyes and asked, "why is there so much killing?"  She had a bit of a difficult time with that aspect whereas it didn't seem to affect Harris one bit!  He did however ask, about 10 minutes into the movie, where all the people were!  The more I have thought about whether it was appropriate for the children to see this movie the more I realized that this is real life in the wild; it is a part of nature and is the fundamental drive that moves animals forward.  I really want them to understand that, even if it is hard for them to watch.  I'm glad we went and will look forward to Disneynature's next release!  

1 comment:

  1. I am interested in seeing that too...without AnnaKate for now!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips