Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools Pies

Tonight for dinner we had chicken pot pie and for dessert we had a chocolate pie with strawberry whipped cream.  Or at least that is what the children thought we were having!  

Once everyone started eating the pot pie, they realized that it was pudding with candy vegetables and white chocolate for chicken.  The chocolate pie was shepherd's pie with beef filling and beet infused whipped potatoes.  I haven't had so much fun making dinner in a while and I think the children also had fun eating it!  I got both recipes here.

The vegetables were Starbursts and Tootsie Rolls.  I was able to raid the children's Halloween stash (they forgot about it a long time ago) so that I didn't have to buy a whole bag just to get a few pieces.

I love how much it really does look like a chicken pot pie!

The shepherd's pie was quite good.  The filling actually had a bit of cocoa in it!

P.S.  I think of myself as pretty proficient in the kitchen so I had to laugh at myself when I managed to burn the instant pudding while I was making it!  Also, I have to warn you that this meal made a lot of dishes.  For Bryce (who cleans) that probably feels like a real prank!

3 comments:

  1. What a hoot!

    I played a pretty good prank on my kids at school today.

    April Fool's Day is so much fun!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim and I almost made this for our two older friends but decided to do something else. Last year we put cookwhip in circle on plate with a half peach turned upside down on the cookwhip. I made strips of bacon from piecrusts, crimped it up on cookie sheet, and sprinked a mix of cinnamon on sugar,making it darker on some parts and lighter on others (to look like lean and meaty bacon). Then we toated pound cake in toaster, buttered it and served it as toast. Had food coloring in water in juice glasses and coffee. It actually all tasted good and delighted the ladies. Enjoyed my visit with your Mother and loved Delita's house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Miriam

    http://www.craigslistdecoded.info

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips