Monday, January 12, 2009

Seasonal Books


One of my goals for this year is to do more meaningful projects with the children that are centered around children's literature.  If you know me, you know that I love children's books-picture books and chapter books.  I have now been out of teaching seven years (!) and really feel out of the loop when it comes to the new offerings of books!  Subscribing to the Horn book has helped, but I need to make a more concerted effort.  If anyone has any great book suggestions I would love to hear them (or of a way to learn about new books).

In an effort to read more seasonal books I have created a book basket that will stay in the hallway outside of the children's rooms.  Every month I'm going to switch out new books that are relavent to that month's holidays, seasons, birthdays, special occasions, etc.  For the January basket I put winter/snow books and several books that deal with the issue of civil rights (MLK).  

P.S. I bought this book basket years ago at Pottery Barn Kids.  They are perfect for books because they have a low front and high back.  They no longer carry them and I really wish I had bought more!

3 comments:

  1. That is your life...great items discontinued!! :)

    I have a basket for AnnaKate that I rotate seasonal books in. I get excited when I am able to pull out special holiday books year after year.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of rotating the books every month. I also want to thank you for introducing me to the Horn book. I just signed up for their newsletter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. The kids love seeing the books when I put them out, because it has usually been a year since they've read them. It brings back memories for them, kind of like getting out the Christmas tree ornaments.

    Claire is really into the Laura Ingalls Wilder books right now. They are not seasonal, but still classics. She loves hearing about how differently they lived and everyday was an adventure. Another one I read with Will (that would be appropriate since y'all just did the NY museums) is From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg. GREAT story, but big vocab. - definitley a read together book.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips