Monday, December 22, 2008

Homemade Christmas Part 1



This summer I saw a post from last Christmas on the blog Design Mom that was about having siblings make gifts for each other. I really love this idea because it encourages gift giving to be about making a thoughtful, loving gift. Therefore, we gave it a go this year and I am super pleased with the results.

I talked it over with each child at the beginning of December to get ideas about what they could make. After we came up with a plan we started working on the gifts.

Harris loves working with clay so he chose to make a mouse out of clay for Grace. I helped him a good bit with the putting of the pieces together, but he made the shapes and poked the holes for the eyes. We baked it and put a magnet on the back. He wanted to make another gift so he and Bryce made hand warmers out of pie weights for Grace. This project obviously required a lot more help from us but he picked out the material and color of thread and he helped to run the sewing machine. He's very proud of his gifts!

My boys at the sewing the machine

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome idea! Reminds me of the foot warmer I sewed for my mom when I was five. Good values and traditions you're instilling in them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips