Thursday, November 20, 2008

Giving Jar

In an effort to help our children understand the concept of giving to others, we have started a giving jar. We decided as a family which organization to donate to. We asked the children what they would like to do to help others. Harris wanted to give people food and Grace wanted to help people who didn't have much money. Our local food kitchen fits that bill perfectly. I think that this will be a good fit for us because the children can understand giving food to others and it will help other people who live in our community.
I know that it will take a long time to fill the jar but hopefully the children will enjoy the anticipation of it getting fuller and fuller. I thought we would just use spare change but Grace got some of her dollars from her piggy bank and put them in. That's the spirit!

4 comments:

  1. What a fabulous thing to do as a family. Grace's good heart gesture made tears come to my eyes. A big squeeze to you all!
    P.S. Harris' painting is reminiscent of several Bryce did at that age. Good job. Grace's rendition of Harris is super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! I am posting this because I was talking to Jeni this afternoon and told her how much I enjoyed the Blog's that you and her post. She said that I needed to post a comment to let her know we were reading them!! I did, and decided I needed to let you know also, how much we enjoy your efforts!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this all very "cool". I want to share a new word with you. I hope it's ok. I like knowing about what others believe. The word "Tzedakah" is the Hebrew word for the acts that we call "charity" in English: giving aid, assistance, and money to the poor and needy or to other worthy causes. But the nature of tzedakah is very different from the idea of charity. The word "charity" suggests benevolence and generosity, a magnanimous act by the wealthy and powerful for the benefit of the poor and needy. The word "tzedakah" is derived from the Hebrew root Tzade-Dalet-Qof, meaning righteousness, justice, or fairness. In Judaism, giving to the poor is not viewed as a generous, magnanimous act; it is simply an act of justice and righteousness, the performance of a duty, giving the poor their due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi friend! I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your blog with me! I love the window it gives into your heart and your family! It is now on my list of favorite sites :-) Let's definitely get the boys together again soon. Not only did Matthew have a great time, I did too! Its always good to have a friend to process life and parenting with! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips